Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Blow-Out flight back!

Our Christmas trip home...I have to start with the story of the flight back home to Denver. (And here is a cute first picture of Johnathan with his Grandpa John Pennock).
So Johnathan's first flight ever home to Spokane went perfectly! Very smooth and he was a great baby. Took 2 long naps on the plane and never cried or fussed. Good boy!
But, the trip back was another story. First of all, he has his first cold right now...so he was already not feeling good. His cough started on 1/1/10, and now it's a full cold. This flight was on Monday, 1/4. He cried and had a hard time breastfeeding because he has a stuffy nose. He finally did eat though, and then soon before take-off, low and behold.....he pushed and pffffffffth. You know it! He had a MASSIVE blow-out diaper! My eyes were probably like dish plates! Nate didn't hear it so I said, "He just had a HUGE explosion!". We put the call light on for the flight attendant and told her what happened and asked when the best time to change him would be. She said if we hurry, we can do it before take-off.
We decided that Nate would take him. Unfortunately, Nate did not see that there was a changing table tray in the TINY bathroom. So he said he kind of changed him half on the toilet and half on his leg and there was no room to do anything. And me being a germ-a-phobe...thinking of him putting the diaper bag on the floor and the pad and baby on the toilet cover and counters. Both Nate and I were like, "Gross!". : ) He brought him back to me Naked with just a diaper on! He bolted back and got the stuff out of the bathroom. While he was gone, I noticed Johnathan had poo all up his head and neck and on one side of his body. That was from taking the poo-ridden onesie up over his head. It was of course impossible for Nate to keep Johnathan clean. Poor guy! Both of them! So it was a huge mess. I dressed Johnathan in the seat. We ran out of wipes cleaning the poo off of his head. Uh Oh! They had to run the safety tape (on United airlines) again because they didn't realize Nate was in the bathroom. It was a huge mess! Johnathan was screaming because of all this mess. I felt so bad. It was also past his naptime. So I finally got him settled and he fell asleep while nursing.

He only slept like 30 minutes though. Fast forward a little bit more, and after happily playing for a little bit...he had ANOTHER BLOW-OUT DIAPER! You're probably saying, "you got to be joking, right?". But this is what Johnathan does. He has blow-out diapers at the most inopportune times. This time, I take him. And I notice there IS a changing table in that tiny bathroom. So it was much easier for me. Although, like I mentioned before, we were out of wipes. So I just used wet paper towels from the bathroom. And luckily it wasn't that much of a blow-out on his clothes. Only a dot...so I left those clothes on him so he wouldn't have to be naked the rest of the flight. What an ORDEAL! It was horrible and very stressful. Poor sick baby. We made it home safe after all of this.

3 comments:

e said...

lol. . . your son would have blowout diaper X2 on the plane!

Beka said...

OMG I am almost crying I am laughing so hard - of course that had to happen - babies!

The Ames Family said...

When you gotta go, you gotta go! lol!