Monday, October 26, 2009

Momma is back to work!

Hi there...
So I am now back to work and my 3 months of Maternity Leave is over. I was sad and scared at first but now that the first weekend back is over, I am relieved. I am amazed at how fast those 3 months off flew by. It went so fast, and I was sad and scared about leaving my baby...especially with the babysitter the first day. So, I am working every Friday and Saturday now. On Friday's, Johnathan is watched by a daughter of one of the nurses I work with. Her name is Kim and she is 20 years old and very nice. She has a lot of experience with babies and nurseries. Then on Saturday's he is home with Nate. So this first weekend went well actually! The babysitter said he did fine (I called to check on him twice during work)...hee hee. She said he only cried when he was hungry or tired. He took bottles fine for her. Then on Saturday, Nate said it went pretty well, but there was an incident where the monitor got turned off by accident for 15 or 20 minutes while Johnathan was napping and he was crying for who knows how long. We have pretty thick walls. But he took bottles fine from Nathan too. Mommy and baby did really miss each other a lot though! I cried on Thursday night, the night before work. But did okay during work by trying not to think about it too much. (And by checking-in like a curious Mom). : )
Work itself went VERY well! They took good care of me the 1st day back by giving me 3 easy postpartum couplets and they were all very nice women. So that made it pleasant. I was slower and had to think about how to do my job again before I started. I was also slower with charting on the computer. But jumped back in fairly well. On Saturday morning though, it was my first day back at labor & delivery...and got thrown in with running shoes on. My labor pt came up to our floor right at 7am (& I was quite tired from the night before getting up with the baby). Well, she had her 2nd baby out by 7:21am. That's what you call a "precipitous delivery". She wanted an epidural and we were frantically trying to get her ready for it, but then she started screaming, "Pressure! Pressure!"...and the head was coming. We told her there was no time and she pushed that baby right out. It was SUPER fast (she was 5 cm when she got to our floor), and I was running around trying to remember my priorities. I almost had to deliver the baby but the doctor got there just in time. It was crazy! Talk about being thrown back in!
I got both flu vaccines on Friday. I got the H1N1 nasal mist (very wierd feeling trickling up the nose and back down the throat. Kinda sweet tasting). And I got the seasonal flu shot (in the gluteus since I'm holding my baby at home and didn't want a sore arm muscle). I wanted to protect my baby as much as possible by protecting myself. We have had a lot of pregnant women on our floor with the H1N1 flu! Scary! I had a reaction from the vaccines on Saturday. I felt horrible for about 4 hours with total body achiness, headache, great fatigue, and slight stomach soreness. But I drank a lot of water and took some Ibuprofen and eventually felt better.
I was able to pump 3 times each day at work (luckily it was slow enough on the unit). I go down to the nice lactation room to do it and use my electric pump from home. The first time I pumped at work, I got 11 ounces of milk in one sitting!

No comments: